PDA

View Full Version : Capturing Followers?

Camille
October 24th, 2012, 17:15
Will we ever get to capture the most prized commodity in the game . . . . Followers of others?

Alex
October 24th, 2012, 18:11
Will we ever get to capture the most prized commodity in the game . . . . Followers of others?

It's a nice suggest :9 but not easy to implement in our system where you freely choose your master. However, at party vs party raids (ambushes) you will take some gold from your victim and a chance to stole equipped items!

Camille
October 25th, 2012, 03:44
THAT is the spice! Being able to freely choose your master yet running the risk of being seized. Then the coordinated rescues! then Political battles and negotiations! The treachery! Mwahahahaha!

There are already a dozen games out there that steal resources . . . Evony, KoC, Shakes and Fidget . . . I tried them all and quit very quickly. Too boring. Nothing exciting about virtual gold. But a real person? hehehe.

Isildur
October 25th, 2012, 06:09
Hmmm... interesting. What would happen with the "captured" follower? And how about followers in such a low level that they're not worth being rescued?

As I said, interesting, but there are lots of things that should be well thought before trying to implement such feature. Specially if it's one hard to implement, as it seems to be according to what Alex said.

Alex
October 25th, 2012, 06:15
It sounds really interesting from the point of view of the masters, but what about the follower being captured? Being a slave would ruin the follower's game experience... if we implemented this, the follower would still be able to leave the captor and folow again the former master when they come back to town, and this would be only useful to seize uninstalls (inactive followers).

Camille
October 25th, 2012, 07:28
You are absolutely right. It could be very discouraging for the follower. The trick is balancing the powers. It should not be too easy to escape but it shouldn't be impossible. This aspect would truly make your game unique in FB games.

Alex
October 25th, 2012, 07:34
You are absolutely right. It could be very discouraging for the follower. The trick is balancing the powers. It should not be too easy to escape but it shouldn't be impossible. This aspect would truly make your game unique in FB games.

Indeed, this is a really interesting feature to consider and to discuss with the community. Just now we are totally overwhelmed bringing all remain features but I promise we will back to this to consider it deeply.

Camille
October 25th, 2012, 07:35
The captured follower would simply contribute to the strength and power of his new Master. There would need to be a rebellion feature . . . that could be in a "party" form. Working with other captives? It's not only the high levels that encourage rescues . . . it's the relationships. And there will be dead accounts that are captured and never rescued. Some people will collect those. And all followers are potential Masters too, don't forget. And they are free to join questing parties of their choice.

Kurgan
October 27th, 2012, 12:37
I like a lot of these ideas. Sounds interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. ;)

Justin Sean Johnson
November 3rd, 2012, 22:32
Ha! Capturing followers!! Super-original. :)

Maybe you could "force" them into your squad for one day per rank (adept=1 day, magician=2 days, etc.), and they couldn't be in anyone else's squad during that time.

That might be hard to implement, but it would be hilarious! :D

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 07:33
Ha! Capturing followers!! Super-original. :)

Maybe you could "force" them into your squad for one day per rank (adept=1 day, magician=2 days, etc.), and they couldn't be in anyone else's squad during that time.

That might be hard to implement, but it would be hilarious! :D

Not so original as it was taken from another facebook game which has died. In that game, it was really funny for player to seize other player's vassals, but im many cases, if you were seized from your master, you were left in a dungeon where you cannot scape, ruining the gameplay of not so strong players.

But it will be a really cool feature and want to study the way of captuting followers without ruining the followers' experience, and your proposals and the sort of solutions that will make this work :)¡

We will work on this after ambushes were brought.

Camille
November 4th, 2012, 09:19
Not so original as it was taken from another facebook game which has died. In that game, it was really funny for player to seize other player's vassals, but im many cases, if you were seized from your master, you were left in a dungeon where you cannot scape, ruining the gameplay of not so strong players.

But it will be a really cool feature and want to study the way of captuting followers without ruining the followers' experience, and your proposals and the sort of solutions that will make this work :)¡

We will work on this after ambushes were brought.

No it is not original and there were a considerable amount of flaws in the other game (Knighthood) but they were not insurmountable. And siezing was awesome. An adrenaline rush. And the politics were delicious!!!

Orik
November 4th, 2012, 09:28
Guild Master is a game that'll be made by the community, if many players like your idea it'll be more probably added to the game, but if on the opposite it's not something liked it will be kept away
this is what GM is.

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 10:51
Agree with both last posts! Personally, I like the idea and me and my team will work to make it possible if people like it.

Flame
November 4th, 2012, 11:22
No it is not original and there were a considerable amount of flaws in the other game (Knighthood) but they were not insurmountable. And siezing was awesome. An adrenaline rush. And the politics were delicious!!!

She's right. The adrenaline rush will make this game addictive. The politics will make this game social unlike any other. But it'll be a fine balance to appease both the those who want to seize, and those who don't want to BE seized.

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 12:21
Agreed

Isildur
November 4th, 2012, 13:04
After 3 weeks playing the beta I think we can start getting conclusions from many things in the game. For new features, I would suggest spacing their addition long enough to let us testers/players evaluate them. It's hard finding a balance (which I agree is key for every new addition) if every few days a new feature that interferes with the last one added appears in the game. This will of course require that we, players, are patient, and get focused on testing as much as possible those things already implemented. The quality of the stable version will depend on how intense our testing is.

Getting back to topic, I think that capturing followers could be an interesting addition, but I think it should be delayed until ambushes+skills have been activated and tested long enough, as these 2 features are imho core features that will determine the type of game GM will be.

Flame
November 4th, 2012, 17:49
I very much agree with Isildur.

xBradenH
November 6th, 2012, 14:00
capturing followers=AWESOME

Jade
November 13th, 2012, 22:53
I also want to see capturing followers! Even if it last online a few days before the follower can unfollow or even a few minutes before the master manage a rescue :)

And capturing followers didn't ruin the "vassal" experience in all case, sometime it does exactly the contrary! I was captured early in the game from the friend who invited me. Got captured another time by an active player that became my liege for the years that followed. If not captured, I would not have learned that much about the game and I probably wouldn't have get addicted to it.

Thus, capture a follower and gain his trust, that's something!

Kurilia
November 19th, 2012, 14:29
And what happen with the follower followers captured? would also be slaves of their new master? or they cease to follow his master and will choose freely to another?
We could demand ransom by the follower, as in the days of knights :$
I like this

Zab
November 19th, 2012, 16:00
I like the idea of capturing other players. It's what kept me playing the other game, Knighthood, which others here are speaking of. But a lot of people quit that game because they could never get their people back; their mothers, their brothers, their friends.
However, after playing your game for a few weeks, I do have a few ideas on how capturing people could work in this game.

To be able to ambush parties and possibly capture another player during these, you must be at L7 player. You must capture players on an individual basis, not as part of a party. Party seizing is attained at level 40.

You may only seize people from other guilds. If you are a wizard, you cannot seize another wizard.

You can only seize from other players that are around your same level and power.

You may only capture a person every set number of days (5). When you capture someone, you gain their power, plus 15% of their main attribute.

If you capture someone's follower, they have 3 days to rescue. If they rescue, you lose those power points, as they have now been saved by their Master, but you do gain a set amount of experience points for taking part in the adventure (someone else decide how many).

If they do not rescue their follower, there will be a chance to rebel. Rebellions always work. After the rescue timer is up, the prisoner gets his chance to escape. The prisoner will have to login for a set amount of consecutive days to be set free. Perhaps, 5 days for low level prisoners, 50 days for high level prisoners. If goal is achieved and prisoner is freed, he can go home and his Master regains his follower's power points, but nor does the seizer LOSE the power points he's gained. There should be a chance of escape early for the rebeller based on gameplay, doing more quests, etc.. If a dead account is taken and not rescued, nor if any rebellion has begun within 7 days, then the Master will get a chance to regain his follower. He will have the ability to click something that says Save Prisoner for a set amount of days (which should be much higher, than just rebellion, say 14 days for low level players, many more days for higher levels). Again, the seizer will not LOSE any power points, but the Master regaining his player would only gain back half of their followers power.

As long as one is a prisoner, they can never be re-captured by someone else.

I notice I have Stealing and Ambushing skills, but the ability to unlock them is still far off for me. They should be unlocked within the first 5 levels, if seizing were implemented.

A few other things I think:

The ability to join a party shouldn't be allowed to happen until level 10.
If you join a Master, their should be a 24 hour hold on being able to leave them.

Flame
November 19th, 2012, 17:10
I love it all, Zab. These are fantastic ideas.

carlosmt
November 19th, 2012, 18:33
I like too much the idea of captured players... if they aren't rescued... they will be new followers... I NEED FOLLOWERS! XD

Flame
November 19th, 2012, 23:30
So recruit some then.

Flame
November 19th, 2012, 23:32
Captured players are going to need an out, an opportunity to be able to go back to their regular master. If they're permanently stuck, then we'll end up with the same problem KH had... A bunch of pissed off people quitting because they don't like where they ended up and the end result will be a stagnant game.