PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Writting Contest

Guild Masters
October 27th, 2012, 05:30
First writting contest was a success! We received several applies and all them were great. So we want to repeat it to give everybody a new chance.

We are going to add a quest with minimum size 1 (not images yet).

This time, the contest will have two cumulative prizes:

- Quest description with usual style: style: title (max 40ch) + subtitle(max 128ch) + description(500-1000ch aprox).
Prize: 100 diamonds. Finalist: 50 Diamonds. Applicants: 10 diamonds.

At this quest, the adventuring party will fight an only monster: a snake. The snake will be viper style, not a constrictor style.

- Monsters description: description (500-1000ch aprox).
Prize: 100 diamonds. Finalist: 50 Diamonds. Applicants: 10 diamonds.

For this monster, we need three different descriptions:

Snake (fought at easy). Skills: none (not venemous).
Viper (fought at medium). Skills: poison (venemous).
Venomous Serpent (fought at hard). Skills: poison, paralizyng toxin (venemous).

Descriptions can be very similar, they can even share the same text at some parts of the descriptions. We are not asking to list the skills at the description, but they could help to describe the monster (see other monster descriptions to have a guide).

Thank you for your interest and good luck!

End date for sumbissions: Nov 2nd. Winners announced on Nov 3rd.

Send submissions to info@otherwind.com

Isildur
October 27th, 2012, 12:35
Hi there

I'm liking very much the idea of counting on the community through these contests. However, I think that everybody who participated should be rewarded, not only the winner. It takes time and effort to write a good text, so I think it would be great if anybody who submitted one should be rewarded with, let's say, 5-10 diamonds. It's not a high amount, and people is getting the same just playing everyday.

Of course, some minimal quality should be required in order to get those diamonds (otherwise, many people could have the temptatoin of simply copying a text from somewhere else and submitting it, or just writing a ****** group of unconnected words only tto get the reward). I think that a minimal text size and at least a minimally interesting text related with the game should be mandatory.

Apart from that, maybe a special reward for the "finalist" would be interesting.

And well, personally I'd like to read all submitted stories, just to make those who put their effort on them don't feel they lost their time :D.

Cheers!

Kurgan
October 27th, 2012, 12:44
I'll post my story for the wererats. Maybe we need an RP/Story Tellers sub-forum? Can moderators do that? :D

Alex
October 27th, 2012, 18:39
Hi there

I'm liking very much the idea of counting on the community through these contests. However, I think that everybody who participated should be rewarded, not only the winner. It takes time and effort to write a good text, so I think it would be great if anybody who submitted one should be rewarded with, let's say, 5-10 diamonds. It's not a high amount, and people is getting the same just playing everyday.

Of course, some minimal quality should be required in order to get those diamonds (otherwise, many people could have the temptatoin of simply copying a text from somewhere else and submitting it, or just writing a ****** group of unconnected words only tto get the reward). I think that a minimal text size and at least a minimally interesting text related with the game should be mandatory.

Apart from that, maybe a special reward for the "finalist" would be interesting.

And well, personally I'd like to read all submitted stories, just to make those who put their effort on them don't feel they lost their time :D.

Cheers!

Deal! When I have a chance I will award applicants for the first contest with 10 diamonds and the finalist with 50 diamonds. And this will be applied also for this second contest. :)¡

I'll post my story for the wererats. Maybe we need an RP/Story Tellers sub-forum? Can moderators do that? :D

I can add this sub-forum to the tavern. What name you suggest for the subforum?

Kurgan
October 28th, 2012, 06:32
I was thinking something like the Tavern itself becoming a sub-forum for RPing and Storytelling. The old tavern forum would become the Adventurer's Hall. And a new sub-forum called, The Bulletin Board, would replace the function of the current tavern. So...

Adventurer's Hall > The Tavern / The Bulletin Board

Make sense? I could just do it, with permission, if I have the Moderator rights to do so. :P

Orik
October 28th, 2012, 09:06
I'm still waiting for the image:D

Alex
October 29th, 2012, 07:25
Prizes:
- Winner: 100 diamonds.
- Finalist: 50 Diamonds.
- Applicants: 10 diamonds.

Both prizes (quest and monsters) are cummulative.

Orik
October 29th, 2012, 14:42
Good luck everyone

Kurgan
October 29th, 2012, 23:16
Good luck everyone

Ditto.

Alex
October 30th, 2012, 18:49
C'mon we are waiting for your stories! 10 diamonds for every apply, 50 to finalist and 100 to winner!

Both contests, quest and monster, are cummulative!

Orik
October 30th, 2012, 19:18
Can I still participate?

Alex
October 31st, 2012, 04:45
Can I still participate?

Of course you can, why not? :)

Kurgan
October 31st, 2012, 19:55
I'll submit one when the mood strikes me. I have to be in an imaginative mood. heh

Orik
November 1st, 2012, 16:42
Sending my Text :D still having issue writing Monster description :(

Justin Sean Johnson
November 1st, 2012, 21:36
Emailed my snake story. :)

Alex
November 2nd, 2012, 08:23
There is a new sub-forum:Role-playing and Storetelling (http://www.otherwind.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?24-Role-playing-and-Storetelling)

We should move stories there ;)

Orik
November 3rd, 2012, 11:27
Sadly havent made any snake description because i wanted it to be image representative, unless it hasn't been draw yet..?

Alex
November 3rd, 2012, 11:38
Though there have been less applicants for this second contest, to be fair with the applicants who wrote it at the right time, we cannot accept more applies :( I'm sorry, I would like to get more stories but we must accomplish the rules set.

Guild Masters
November 3rd, 2012, 12:53
We have already the result of the QUEST SNAKES contest! :)¡

WINNER: Xuxia (http://apps.facebook.com/guildmasters/Game/Profile.aspx?IdProfile=641), for A Missing Girl in the Slithering Shadows. Prize: 100 Diamonds.

A Missing Girl in the Slithering Shadows
Something scaly is slithering in the shadows. It isn’t afraid of people -- but it should be afraid of you.

You were too late to save the child. The child’s mother had sent word, begging anyone to help her. She begged you to enter the forest to find her daughter and bring the little girl back safely, but that would be impossible now. Only two puncture wounds on the child’s leg provide any clue as to what killed the girl, but that was clue enough. You know that it must have been some kind of snake.
The little girl must have wandered too close to the cold-blooded beast, and it killed her to protect its territory. Where might the child have stumbled on its lair? After searching the area, you find a low bush half-covering a deep, wide hole, big enough for the snake to enter and exit. Throwing a torch down the hole should convince the creature to come forth and face your justice.

FINALIST: Orik (http://apps.facebook.com/guildmasters/Game/Profile.aspx?IdProfile=139), for Reptile Breeder's son. Prize: 50 Diamonds.
Reptile Breeder's son
Help the son of the Glorious Reptile Tamer to recover his death father legacy.

While walking in town, you see a posted bill “Need Courageous Adventurer Decent Reward Contact Alex At The *I'll take an other Drink- Pub”. It was a well know pub in a nearby town. Intrigued, you went straight to the pub. On arrival the pub was almost empty. In a dark corner was a young boy with very expensive serpent scales cloth.
Alex? You asked on an experienced adventurer tone. Approving with his eye you approached him. He started to explain his misfortune. His father had left a key for him; opening a chest with tons of gold and adventurer equipment but the safe was guarded by some of the fiercest reptile he had tame in his life - and as a renown tamer it was no ordinary ones. His father had left him a letter with the simple sentence '' You'll deserve a decent reward once you'll be able to tame my pets!'' But the son was no tamer. He replied staring at you '' Why taming while we can slay'' laughing. You both agreed about getting 50/50 of the loot and head on he shows you the door where you'll have to defeat his father's pet.

Actually, we have not received more applies this time, though both stories are great and worthy of these prizes. Prizes will be sent tomorrow and this quest will be added soon at Size 1 in the same moment we receive the quest illustration.

Thank you!

Guild Masters
November 3rd, 2012, 12:56
We have received only one apply, Xuxia (http://apps.facebook.com/guildmasters/Game/Profile.aspx?IdProfile=641), so he is the winner of the contest and we will receive other 100 diamonds.

Finalist place is deserted.

Snake:
This snake is long, lean and legless. From a distance it looks like a scaled worm, but from the perspective of being attacked it seems like it’s all muscle and teeth, and you are dismayed to see that it can strike at a distance of one-third its overall body length. The snake’s needle-sharp fangs can puncture armor and flesh to shed a victim’s blood, weakening them and eventually killing them. Most snakes do not attack humans unless threatened, but this one seems to be unnaturally aggressive.

Viper:
This viper is long, lean and legless. From a distance it looks like a scaled worm, but from the perspective of being attacked it seems like it’s all muscle and teeth, and you are dismayed to see that it can strike at a distance of one-third its overall body length. The viper’s needle-sharp fangs can puncture armor and flesh to shed a victim’s blood, and even worse, it can inject a deadly poison directly into the blood through its hollow fangs. Most vipers do not attack humans unless threatened, but this one seems to be unnaturally aggressive.

Venomous Serpent:
This venomous serpent is long, lean and legless. From a distance it looks like a giant scaled worm, but from the perspective of being attacked it seems like it’s all muscle and teeth, and you are dismayed to see that it can strike at a distance of one-third its overall body length. The venomous serpent’s needle-sharp fangs can puncture armor and flesh to shed a victim’s blood, and even worse, it can inject a deadly paralyzing poison through its hollow fangs. This venomous serpent seems to be unnaturally aggressive – you had better kill it before it threatens anyone else.

Justin Sean Johnson
November 3rd, 2012, 20:44
Wow, Orik's idea was so original!! I liked it a lot!!! :D

Orik
November 3rd, 2012, 20:53
Thanks

Guild Masters
November 7th, 2012, 16:00
Prizes sent. Enjoy the diamonds :$