PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: Experience received from your master

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 15:12
Keep an eye on next update (http://www.otherwind.com/forum/showthread.php?825-Update-1-01-022). We are increasing XP received from your master and opening the range for followers getting xp; also followers in the squad, included those with several rank levels below their master, will get a bunch of xp:

Followers in squad:
- 1 rank level below: 5%
- 2 rank levels below: 3%
- 3 rank levels below: 2%
- 4 rank levels below: 1%
- 5 or more rank levels below: 0%

Followers out the squad:
- 1 rank level below: 2%
- 2 or more rank levels below: 0%

Orik
November 4th, 2012, 15:14

Flame
November 4th, 2012, 17:38
Keep an eye on next update. We are increasing XP received from your master and opening the range for followers getting xp [cut]

Followers out the squad:
- 1 rank level below: 2%
- 2 or more rank levels below: 0%

Isn't that what it is now? I mean, as far as WHO is getting xp? I feel like it should be broader... Maybe rank 1 level below master, 4%, 2 levels below master 3 %, 3 levels below master 2% and 4 levels below master 1%. Any more than 4 levels would get nothing.
People don't want to be told who they can or can't or who they should and should not join. You want to encourage people to play with their friends, not discourage them. Players should not be so harshly penalized for following a master who is high above them.

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 18:17
No, before this setup, followers out the squad were getting 1% and followers in the squad were getting 2%. Now with this change, xp got is doubled or more than double, and now also lower ranks in the squad get xp.

If people want to level up their friends (or clones ;) ), they can do it now selecting them on their squad. We will test this setup for some time.

As far as I understand, this is not a penalty for anybody. In the opposite, this is a bonus. :afro:

Flame
November 4th, 2012, 19:03
No, before this setup, followers out the squad were getting 1% and followers in the squad were getting 2%. Now with this change, xp got is doubled or more than double, and now also lower ranks in the squad get xp.

If people want to level up their friends (or clones ;) ), they can do it now selecting them on their squad. We will test this setup for some time.

As far as I understand, this is not a penalty for anybody. In the opposite, this is a bonus. :afro:

Except that if someone who is more than 1 rank below you is not in your squad they still get the shaft. Personally, I put whichever follower of mine has the most vitality in my squad. I only have 3 spots so I have to use them wisely. So if I want a certain follower to get more xp from me, I have to sacrifice my stats to do so. I use my squad to reward my best followers. If I dump them from my squad to bring in the lower followers, then my best followers are getting penalized (That would mean you, Alex ;) ). If I don't put my followers in my squad who are 2 or more rank levels below me, then they're getting penalized because they're not receiving xp... So basically we still have no winners in this situation.

Also, I get NO xp from my master.

Your master, Guild Master Orik (http://www.guildmasters.com/Game/Profile.aspx?IdProfile=139), has completed an adventure, but his rank level is too high, so you cannot earn any XP from him.

He's rank 5 and I'm rank 4 AND I'm in his squad. So Idk what's going on with that. Not that I care much, because I don't. I'm just pointing out a flaw in the current set up.

Lukasz Kanarek
November 4th, 2012, 19:22
It will be perfect with those changes!

I also think that exp is just a bonus, if you have some good friends they will still follow you and 2% exp will not change that. If there will be no rank restriction, everyone would follow guild master or person who got most xp, and other players would have no followers. The whole rank structure in this game is really nice, we just need more players.

^Orik is rank 6, because he's Guild Master.

Flame
November 4th, 2012, 19:32
Yah, yah. I just read that somewhere else.

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 20:11
Also, I get NO xp from my master.

Your master, Guild Master Orik (http://www.guildmasters.com/Game/Profile.aspx?IdProfile=139), has completed an adventure, but his rank level is too high, so you cannot earn any XP from him.

He's rank 5 and I'm rank 4 AND I'm in his squad. So Idk what's going on with that. Not that I care much, because I don't. I'm just pointing out a flaw in the current set up.

This thread is describing the changes we are going to bring with next update. They aren't still uploaded. It's ready and we will upload it in the morning (it's 2am here).

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 20:29
It will be perfect with those changes!

I also think that exp is just a bonus, if you have some good friends they will still follow you and 2% exp will not change that. If there will be no rank restriction, everyone would follow guild master or person who got most xp, and other players would have no followers. The whole rank structure in this game is really nice, we just need more players.

^Orik is rank 6, because he's Guild Master.

You got the point, Koxik. This feature is thought to make everybody easier to get enough followers to fill their squads first, and then, to keep the ranks hierarchy.
It will help to spread followers instead getting gathered for a few powerful masters. This masters will dislike this measure but it will enhance the gameplay of a much higher amount of players.

Also, we have added to this incoming upadate a recommended masters which will be EXTREMELY USEFUL to new players to choose a master. This new ranking will consider together the recent xp and these bonuses attending to masters with empty slots in their squads because they have not enough followers to fill them.

Of course, if you want to level up a much lower friend or a clone, you have to sacrifice your stats. If not, just bigger guys would level up every follower in their ranks. This won't be ever allowed.

Camille
November 5th, 2012, 09:17
not enough. I agree with Crystal. I have 13 followers now. I don't have 13 squad spots. Only about 7 of my people are active. I still don't have 7 squad spots. So what good is this? Besides, I'm putting my highest people in the squad and my littler guys lose out. I'm trying to make up for it by supporting their recruiting. Hopefully, getting them followers will count more for them than a few symbolic xp points.

Camille
November 5th, 2012, 09:22
Also, we have added to this incoming upadate a recommended masters which will be EXTREMELY USEFUL to new players to choose a master.

I get the feeling that you are underestimating the power of recruiting friends to this game.

1. I'm not going to make an effort to recruit if I can't play with them or use them in my gameplay. And a Squire at velocity 1 is NOT going in my quest party. Right now, when I recruit off your site, I can't even tell them which guild to join.

2. People will join this game to play with their friends and if you are pushing them toward unknown people for a handful of xp . . . you're pushing in the wrong direction.

3. The pyramid will work even if you allow equal ranks to Follow each other.

Isildur
November 5th, 2012, 11:50
I like these new changes. The number of available slots increases with ranks, so as you grow in the game and meet more people, you can keep finding a place for them in your squad.

not enough. I agree with Crystal. I have 13 followers now. I don't have 13 squad spots. Only about 7 of my people are active. I still don't have 7 squad spots. So what good is this? Besides, I'm putting my highest people in the squad and my littler guys lose out. I'm trying to make up for it by supporting their recruiting. Hopefully, getting them followers will count more for them than a few symbolic xp points.

The point for me is moving lesser followers to your higher followers :).

I get the feeling that you are underestimating the power of recruiting friends to this game.

1. I'm not going to make an effort to recruit if I can't play with them or use them in my gameplay. And a Squire at velocity 1 is NOT going in my quest party. Right now, when I recruit off your site, I can't even tell them which guild to join.
2. People will join this game to play with their friends and if you are pushing them toward unknown people for a handful of xp . . . you're pushing in the wrong direction.
3. The pyramid will work even if you allow equal ranks to Follow each other.

My last paragraph shows how can you still play with friends. If friends are playing together, there will be no problem at all in sharing followers betweem them all. And you must also take into acount that there's another dimension for this game: parties. It's not a good idea having a party of players from one single guild, so if friends choose different guilds the ammount of such friends that can play together is significantly higher.

The game is far from finished, and remember this is a beta. I see that 90% of the time, changes introduced with each new release make the game better, so let's keep providing cosntructive feedback and finding bugs. And I would also suggest not to get absolute conclusions about anything until ambushes and skills are enabled, as I'm sure these 2 will completely change current gameplay ;).

Flame
November 5th, 2012, 22:16
I like these new changes. The number of available slots increases with ranks, so as you grow in the game and meet more people, you can keep finding a place for them in your squad.

The point for me is moving lesser followers to your higher followers :).

My last paragraph shows how can you still play with friends. If friends are playing together, there will be no problem at all in sharing followers betweem them all. And you must also take into acount that there's another dimension for this game: parties. It's not a good idea having a party of players from one single guild, so if friends choose different guilds the ammount of such friends that can play together is significantly higher.

The game is far from finished, and remember this is a beta. I see that 90% of the time, changes introduced with each new release make the game better, so let's keep providing cosntructive feedback and finding bugs. And I would also suggest not to get absolute conclusions about anything until ambushes and skills are enabled, as I'm sure these 2 will completely change current gameplay ;).

We very much realize that we can't have all the same guild in a party. That still doesn't help us with our new friends coming in the game. Can't very well have a level 1 questing with a level 25. We work very hard to help them a long and find them a good party, but it'd be nice if they could join us and get some xp to drag them along without us having to sacrifice our squad bonuses for them. Just sayin.

Alex
November 6th, 2012, 04:59

No, we are not. When we started designing this game two years ago, I had a thing pretty clair: I hate all those games asking you for your facebook friends, or having tons of neighbors, to expand your land/space, to unblock features in the game, or just acquiring bonuses for the game, forcing you to spam and "add me" message all over facebook, adding dozens of unknow people to your facebook network. Maybe this could be a very profitable system to expand your game using these viral technques, but definitely, this is not the kind of game we want to make.

We very much realize that we can't have all the same guild in a party. That still doesn't help us with our new friends coming in the game. Can't very well have a level 1 questing with a level 25. We work very hard to help them a long and find them a good party, but it'd be nice if they could join us and get some xp to drag them along without us having to sacrifice our squad bonuses for them. Just sayin.

So, at our game, you will only get a real benefit of fresh friends at the start of your game. At the first levels, people use to invite their friends. Later in the game, you doesn't really need to invite lots of new players. So, instead atracting dozens of fresh players giving them bonuses, with the problems that this will bring as I explained in former posts, it's better for you to bring a real friend, guide him in the game and make him to rank up to a level/rank more beneficial for both. We don't want thousands of casual players, and we prefer a tenth of real players, in the same way that you will prefer a power 30 follower that 30 power 1 follower ;)

This is just one more reason, added to all reasons already explained, though this one alone would be enough to justify our decissions: we want not another "add me" or "be my neighbor" game. We fully understand that bringing up new concepts at the gaming scene won't be understood for most of the people, and we don't expect it, but that is our motto:

A Breath of Fresh Air in the Social Gaming Market among all those cloned games out there, we are developing a totally new type of social games with new concepts. From the beginning, we wanted to bring new ideas and creativity to the online games market. :]

Camille
November 6th, 2012, 07:02
Holy cow! All I can say Amen! Allelluia! I hate those spam games and all the gifts and crap. I wasn't even thinking of those sorts of games in relation to yours. I think one invitation to a game is enough and no gifts for heavens sake!! (other than the system you have in place which is perfect) We are several friends trying out this beta. All in different guilds. Dave is the guild master for the priests now, Crystal is inching her way up in the scouts, I'm a fighter. We dragged jackie (beri) into it and she chose wizard. Agnus Belli and a dozen others too. The different guilds and having different rankings and no ONE king of the mountain is fabulous too. We came through a friend and word of mouth. You're going to have a hard time making your game known through all the noise and multimillion dollar advertising of those other ***** games. Word of mouth is your best bet. Furthermore, intelligent FB gamers who will like your game are very rare. Most are content with all the garbage out there. Sadly. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

This said, the penalties you have in place for people wanting to play with friends might hurt the "word of mouth" publicity you'd otherwise get.

Flame
November 6th, 2012, 18:56
You guys want to promote positivity, but how is this positive?

Out of your master's squad.
You won't get any XP from your master's learnings.

That now shows on the wall of anyone who is not in my squad and too many ranks below mine. How is that right or positive? You want to be able to suggest who people follow, but I got news for you. People are going to follow whomever they desire. Most of my followers - Braden, Jacobyi, Jade, Edvard and Cryboy, Zab, TimW, MayoWhip, Baldelf, Hydra and Lionheart - are all friends from other games and they joined me because they want to follow me specifically. Now that message is on half of their walls because I can only put 5 people in my squad. How is that encouraging to them? It's disappointing, really.

Kurilia
November 7th, 2012, 05:53
I think it's fine, and the followers who have less range endeavor to level up to be in the squad of the master. Better than before

xBradenH
November 7th, 2012, 07:55
Agree with Flame. The "out of squad" commentary is somewhat degrading to be seen on the page.

Alex
November 7th, 2012, 11:35
Agree with Flame. The "out of squad" commentary is somewhat degrading to be seen on the page.

We don't get the point of why showing if a player is out of the master squad can be detrimental for the player, but if most players think this way, we could hide this comment for every people who is not the owner of the profile, and people would only see it in their own profiles.

Lukasz Kanarek
November 7th, 2012, 12:44
I think it's about the way you wrote that, you can change it to be a little nicer.
e.g.
You have not been selected to your master's squad.
You won't get any BONUS XP

Alex
November 7th, 2012, 14:55
I think it's about the way you wrote that, you can change it to be a little nicer.
e.g.
You have not been selected to your master's squad.
You won't get any BONUS XP

Thank you Lukasz. I didn't notice the connotations at English of the message "out of ...". I've just changed it. Thanks to let me know!

Flame
November 7th, 2012, 15:17
Thank you Lukasz. I didn't notice the connotations at English of the message "out of ...". I've just changed it. Thanks to let me know!

*sighs* I suppose that's a little better. Thanks...

carlosmt
November 8th, 2012, 14:58
I like too much this changes. I think the followers have to get to a Master 1 rank level up, this rank structure it's similar to Army in real life... Soldiers / Sergeants / Captains...
If you want recruite a new follower two levels below you have to be doubly active (3% vs 5%), or suggest to the new follower chooses a member of your followers... as some players are doing.
Alex, what do you thing about a "top Master" reference? So that I could to recognize the highest Master in the structure of my Master.