Thread: Murder Skill

Character
    Zab

Murder Skill

I have used this skill less than a handful of times since I reached level to be able to. I have always failed. This is results from using it this morning:

Results from Turn 1
    Zab tried to Murder (SL 29) Acilug I : failure.
    Zab shot at Acilug I : hit
    Damage dealt to Acilug I: 1360 ( 755 +605 ) Physical HP

My normal attack killed the monster anyway, such is the case with most of the monsters I face while I am questing alone, and several monsters I can kill outright while in a party. Also, with my Burst skill able to already 'murder' several monsters at once and my Critical Shot often murdering outright, I wonder if this skill is redundant?

The description of the Murder skill:

The scout deals a well directed, lethal blow that can murder the opponent. It works like a basic attack with usual damage, but the opponent can be killed with a slightly high success rate. This probability of causing instant death is increased with the skill level used and decreased with the target level.
    An enemy who has been murdered loses all Vitality.

When I read this it is my understanding that: instant death is increased with skill level used and decreased with target level. The Acilug I faced in that quest is level 139. Must I get my Murder skill level near to 139 to increase my chances of successful murder? And if this is the case, why would I bother if I can take him out with a regular attack? To get anywhere near skill level 139, even with the amount of skill points I can generate an hour, would take.... years, I am assuming. By then, why would I even think to go back that far in quests to murder the slug, costing me thousands upon thousand of energy points? Already my 'fail' costs over 800 of my energy.
    Last edited by Zab; May 24th, 2013 at 11:08.

Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Character
    Alex
    Yes I got what you mean. This skill , as well as behead and power word kill, were though to add to your standard attack, a chance for instant kill opponents which you would not sweep with an only blow otherwise. Success rate must keep low but possible. We have to tune them carefully, and meanwhile, we prefer to keep it lower than higher until we can tune it properly.

When you select the skill level you want to use at the slider bar, you may see the % percent rate to get a success with the skill. What rates are you getting against the slug? For instance, at the current state of the skill, using 20 levels you should get around 15% to murder the slug. It's no profitable to murder opponents which you kill with one standard attack, but it could be useful against hard opponents which you would need 10 or more blows to kill. I'd like to have ambushes running to tune this rates properly.

Character
    Zab
    Action Submitted
    Use skill Murder(21%)
    at level 29, Energy: 870

I still think it is a little expensive to use this skill....although I do recognise that it is the last skill gained for scouts. Perhaps more beneficial to use in ambushes. I agree about waiting to change the skill anyway until then. If and when I can try this on another player, I will let you know the results then too.

Thanks for your in depth explanation.