Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burst

Question> Does attack effect if you hit or not, how much you hit for, or both?

Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    So tonight, Rastlin left me a message asking me to use my burst three different times and post him the results. The first time I used Burst, I still had Burst II. Then I received Burst III. I would like to share the results with you.
    Hello Zab, with Burst II (SL 58) you get 3 attacks with Attack score (ATT 33% +638), with a cost of 348 energy points.
    with Burst III (SL 58) you get 3 attacks with Attack score (ATT 33% +1160), with a cost of 522 energy points.

You get +500 more attack for each attack, so you cannot get the same result:
    At the current state of the combat formulas (which could change afeter ambushes) with 500 more attack you about 80 more damage in average, (up to 130 more damage).
    As they are 3 attacks, you deal an average of 3x80 = 240 more damage, up to almost 400 more damage points, spending an extra cost of 522-348 = 174 energy points.
    That is, enhancing your skill, you get an increase of an average of 1,38 damage per energy point, up to 2,24 damage per energy point spent extra over burst II.

It's up to you to decide if the extra energy is worth enough.

If you think is not enough worthy, then you may get the same burst attack with Burst III (SL 32) for 288 energy points. That is:
    Burst II (SL 58) = 3 attacks with (ATT 33% +638) for 348 cost.
    Burst III (SL 32) = 3 attacks with (ATT 33% +640) for 288 cost.

As you can see, you can get exactly the same busrt attack with less energy cost, so obviously, you cannot be harmed by enhancing your skill (putting aside the usefulness or worthlessness of the skill)

Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Hadley View Post
    Question> Does attack effect if you hit or not, how much you hit for, or both?
    You may find the anwer to your reply in the tooltip of the Attack label in your Character Screen, as well as the tips short sentences (these tips are randomly displayed at the bottom of every screen, but they may be found alltogether on the wiki: http://www.otherwind.com/wiki/guildm...index.php/Tips )

Attack score determines your chance to hit, as well as the damage you deal.
    Defense will decrease the chance of hit from received attacks. It does not reduce damage taken from hits, but it does reduce direct damage from spells.

So for melee and ranged attacks, attacker's ATT and target's DEF will determine the chance of hit. Attacker's ATT and target's damage reductions, and a dice roll, will determine the damage taken.
    For direct damage spells (and breaths) with 100% hit, caster's ATT and target's DEF (and dices rolls) will determine damage taken.

Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    While I do believe players SHOULD pay diamonds to refill energy, only being able to use your energy for one quest-and run out before the quest is even done at level 16-I think something about energy costs needs to be changed. I wonder sometimes if energy costs should be based on your xp level and not skill level, still keeping that you cannot upgrade a skill passed your xp level. I also wonder if you should offer one energy heal a day for gold. I would make the gold offer with strings attached. Like you only get 25%-35% of your total energy replenished. I think the cost to replenish energy at the temple should change. I think something like: level 5 players should only have to pay 3 diamonds to replenish their energy, level 20 players are paying 6, level 65 players are paying the 15. A simple sentence at the Temple stating something like: It costs 3 diamonds to refill your energy. This cost increases as you gain levels because obviously you are a rich and powerful lord in this kingdom

I also wonder if balancing the game could be easier done on your side by changing (increasing) the allotments you give us on the level up. Currently, you give us 15 of your decision. You give me, a scout, 10 defense and 5 energy. Couldn't you give us 20 or 25 of such in the places you think we need them? You could do things like add 2 attack per xp level for priests. This would especially help low leveled lone playing priests.
    There are several genuine ideas here and we will consider them, specially when we will be reviewing the temple.

Btw, there are not a theorical maximum upgrade for a skill. However in the practice, you will find near impossible to reach skill level 100 on any skiill, because the geometrical cost increase for the skill research. Maybe if the game get milllion players, a Guild Master would earn enough power to reach SL 100 !