Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Experience Degradation

Character
    Kurgan

New Experience Degradation

I'm having a mjaor problem with the new experience degradation for completing multiples of the same quest. Right now, my leveling is basically crippled, as well as for a few other people, I imagine. I know a lot of people don't like this new implementation. Here's my story...I'm leveling on the hardest quest I have access to, The Lone Highwayman. I'm barely getting half the experience I should, and I have a feeling as I'm stuck on this quest, it's only going to get worse. Not real sure why this was ever implemented, since basically, fun and interesting leveling has been replaced by clicking and grinding, with little reward. Something has to be done, and I have a few suggestions.

Options...Get rid of the new system for experience degradation (this is what most of us would prefer, I'm sure), or, make the decrease in experience less severe, and maybe put a minimum cap on it, such as 50-75% of the total experience offered by the quest, or reset the quest counter at sever reset.

Just a few suggestions to keep the game fair to everyone, not just large parties, and not just to benefit those that can grind all day, like me. We need to find a common ground, where we can enjoy leveling, but at the same time, the game isn't just about doing the same quests 100 times. Perhaps, even add new quests inbetween the current quests, and make more quests avaiable, for fairer play.

Any other thoughts on this?
    Followers needed! For a list of incentives, please go to http://www.otherwind.com/forum/showt...Incentive-Plan

To join, please go to http://apps.facebook.com/guildmaster...?IdProfile=174

Thank You,
    Kurgan

Character
    Kurgan
    You found treasure! The bounty contains 1094 gold coins and 2 items. You earned 488 XP during the fight.

The above is from a quest that is supposed to be worth 1,200xp. We really need to address this.
    Followers needed! For a list of incentives, please go to http://www.otherwind.com/forum/showt...Incentive-Plan

Thank You,
    Kurgan

Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Character
    Alex
    The problem you are getting is that you have make already 20 times that quest, so you are getting that 50% reduction. But you only are repeating only 4 different quests, when you have available 30 quests (10 quests at 3 difficulty levels)!

People was leveling really too fast making hundreds of low quests where they get not harmed. We planned the game to make a level every 2-3 days and people was making 5 levels daily. If we go on on this way, people would advance faster than we developing new quests and equipment for higher levels. If we remove the reduction of xp, then we must lower the xp got on all quests, or increase xp needed to level up, what is the same in the practice, and these options are really worse for the players.

Also as I explained on a previious post, this game was not designed for making repetitive lower quests, too similar to a click-and-reward game, and this option, besides of being better that increase xp needed for leveling, also encourage players to move on for higher quests.

And next week we will bring ambushes...

I can understend that ppl leveling too fast, but you need to understend that without the active skills we can't do all quests, so that's why we doing low quests. + exp in party is too low!!!!

Character
    Kurgan
    I can understand if people are leveling too fast, that's why I offered some alternatives to the current system. Basically, everything is now click...click..click...with little sense of accomplishment, and minimal rewards. If you continue to cripple the game in this way, I honestly don't feel many will stay dedicated to the game, and it's development. The only reason some of us leveled so fast is because of dedication and hard work, not because the game was too easy. Right now, the best experience I can get, on the quests I can do, is around 300 - 400. I'm level 21. That's just not right.

Thank You,
    Kurgan

This game is competitive and the degradation kills motivation. Maybe you need to make the leveling up requirements bigger? Anything we see as a loss is not fun. And seeing numbers go down is as good as a loss.

It's hard to encourage our followers to play. When they reach our rank we lose them. Not fun. I think we should be able to have a Master at the same rank but not above. I wouldn't have minded staying with the three I was popped out of this week and I miss the two I lost.

Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I...Right now, the best experience I can get, on the quests I can do, is around 300 - 400. I'm level 21. That's just not right.
    You are getting that degradation only in 4 quests, because you repeated them a lot of times. You have 30 available quests with no degradation. Why you don't just move on and choose a different quest? If you were getting no enough xp for all quest, then we should modify the amount reduced, but not while you have a lot of available quests at full xp got.

Also don't forget that this is a beta demo. We have still to evaluate this with all features activated.

Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz Kanarek View Post
    I can understend that ppl leveling too fast, but you need to understend that without the active skills we can't do all quests, so that's why we doing low quests. + exp in party is too low!!!!
    We fully understand it, because that we reseted the quest counters and we are working really hard to activate ambushes and active skills asap!

Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    This game is competitive and the degradation kills motivation. Maybe you need to make the leveling up requirements bigger? Anything we see as a loss is not fun. And seeing numbers go down is as good as a loss.
    I understand what you say. Maybe you see the xp reduction so negative becuase you played before add this feature, maybe not. If new players also see this reduction as so discouraging feature, the we would have no option to remove it but instead, we would have to implement one of the alternatives: increase XP needed to level up, or even remove lower quests from the available quests (set to quests a maximum size in addition to the minimum size). In my opinion, both alternatives decrease much more the leveling and fun of the player, bnecause now at least you get the full xp from fresh quests and also from ambushes, but this xp will be also less worhty if we increase the xp needed to level up.

Again, we have to wait and see how this works with ambushes and active skills activated. And also, we are thinking about an option to refresh quests (and reset the xp reduction) for active players but not for bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I understand what you say. Maybe you see the xp reduction so negative becuase you played before add this feature, maybe not.
    No, it's just plain psychological. You say there are 30 other levels . . . well, when most of the upper levels I cannot play even if they are offered because I lose more health that has to be healed than gold I win. For now, that's 4570 gold. So I can only do a handful of quests that give me more gold than I spend otherwise I can't play because I'm dead. Plus I'm doing the same effort and waiting and waiting for the ticker to go down and I'm getting less and less. Very discouraging.

increase XP needed to level up
    This is viable. in Mousehunt, it took me 1 and a half YEARS to level up from Countess to Duchess. When I played Knighthood, it was the same thing. The farther along you go the harder it gets to level up. The rank means more then.

but this xp will be also less worhty if we increase the xp needed to level up.
    This is true. You are achieving the same ends - slow down the leveling but one is positive and pushes a player onward and what you have now is negative and feels more like a punishment.
    Last edited by Camille; October 28th, 2012 at 16:32.