Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: I'm goin broke, man!

  1. #21
    Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sevilla, Spain
    Posts
    523
    Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    I guess I'm just not the sort of person who likes dice games. I don't gamble. I like smart things. I like being able to make a smart calculation that takes thought. I prefer thinking about things and winning against my opponents with brainpower and not a brainless roll of the dice. Agnus Belli left the game because of this feature. There is no glory in randomness.
    I can tell you with first-hand knowledge that randomness is not the key of winning battles in this game. Also it is not fully determinist. Determinism is really bored and this is a RPG game, inspired on classic pen-and-paper RPG games, where you must use your brain, teamwork and a pack of dices. I cannot reveal details but I can say that it is as real as life itself; when you face an oponent with your same stats, there is about 50% chance of winning. When you face lower opponents, you have a very high chance of winning but the lower opponent may have sometimes a stroke of luck and chain some critical hits, as in real life itself.

    I have a deep knowledge of Mathematics and I can assure that the command of statiscal laws demands more brainpower that a bored and simple determinism. You must forget about older non-rpg games you played and open your mind and your perspective. When you play poker you can not be sure about if you will win a hand, but you can handle probabilities. Managing well what you win or lose on every single hand, the most important thing is how much money you had when you start a game of poker, and how much you have when you ends, and -almost invariably- the player with more brainpower commanding the statistics, will be the winner, no matter the randomness coming in play in the game. In RPGs it is the same thing.

  2. #22
    Member carlosmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Jerez, Spain, Spain
    Posts
    33
    Character
    Beltrak
    Yes I like so. If I haven't a small possibility of winning a hard opponent... what David would think against Goliat?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    You must forget about older non-rpg games you played and open your mind and your perspective. When you play poker you can not be sure about if you will win a hand, but you can handle probabilities. Managing well what you win or lose on every single hand, the most important thing is how much money you had when you start a game of poker, and how much you have when you ends, and -almost invariably- the player with more brainpower commanding the statistics, will be the winner, no matter the randomness coming in play in the game. In RPGs it is the same thing.
    In the RPG that I enjoyed, . . . and I am NOT looking for you to recreate Knighthood (lord knows it had its problems!), it was about amassing power with mathematics and using it against people who sometimes didn't know the equations. Sometimes they did and we could pull a surprise with a feature called 'churching' (one hit double value). But it had to be calculated when to use it. We could beat them down and see the healing charges lessen. We knew they were wearing down. We just had to make a good guess as to when they were down enough to take the double hit which would put our attack numbers over their defense numbers. Several things could happen. 1. We make a bad estimate and don't get the prize. 2. We calculate well and the prize is ours. 3. They come on line or toy with us and heal at the last minute and we lose the prize and quite possibly, the Church effect, and worse! a vassal if they filled their trapper. There was no chance. Only bad guesses. With poker, you use body language. Some people are more or less gifted. It's not about chance either. My mind is way too open for the average person. That's why I get so frustrated. Maybe using the brain will come with skills. For now, it's just clicking. I do enjoy the teamwork though. But losing quests I normally win easily and having a 20k heal because the servers wouldn't load my attack page is a crap "lesson."
    Last edited by Camille; November 21st, 2012 at 16:58.

  4. #24
    Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sevilla, Spain
    Posts
    523
    Character
    Alex
    Just a note... Knighthood was not a Role-Playing Game, and it was not any similitude with role-playing games beyond the fact of being a game. Calling it a RPG is a huge mistake.

    As I said, you have to open your mind if you are willing to enjoy a new game. But be sure that this is and this will be a new game. Meanwhile you will only get to be frustrated for not getting the game you miss.

  5. #25
    Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sevilla, Spain
    Posts
    523
    Character
    Alex
    Anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We greatly appreciate the help of all active community in this forum.

    Of course, I am always talking about the full game that we designed, and not only of only a part shown on this demo.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Just a note... Knighthood was not a Role-Playing Game, and it was not any similitude with role-playing games beyond the fact of being a game. Calling it a RPG is a huge mistake.

    As I said, you have to open your mind if you are willing to enjoy a new game. But be sure that this is and this will be a new game. Meanwhile you will only get to be frustrated for not getting the game you miss.
    You don't know anything about me, Alex. I have played many many FB games and thus far there is absolutely nothing new in this game. I'm curious to see how it evolves so I'm waiting. But I can say that I've already played this game but better. I'm here to help your beta testing. I'm not here to get back a game I DO NOT MISS AT ALL. TBH, I'm glad it's gone. Every time we give you feedback you don't want to hear, you judge us or just "wait and see". Well, if you already have a plan stop asking our opinion. If you want our thoughts on the full game, well bring it on. For now, I feel strung along. Maybe you brought it out too early.

    Did you play Knighthood? It was an MMORPG. But an RPG nonetheless. I know what an RPG is.

  7. #27
    Developer - Lead Programmer Fran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2
    Character
    Fran
    As usual, we thank you your comments and suggestions.

    We are classic RPG lovers, and we wanted to present Guildmasters as a RPG: choice of character class (profession), experience points and level up, skills development, adventure parties of players, quests completion and fight monsters, equipment and inventory... where the key is the strategy developing the character, not only the tatic in a single combat.

    To this RPG facet, we have merge the social aspect of a Facebook game: guilds, alliances, followers/masters, squads... as well as features of a MMO game (massively multiplayer online) so we define Guild Masters as "the first social MMORPG on Facebook": We think that being the first MMORPG on the facebook platform is something NEW. .There some more games calling themselves RPG as Mafia Wars, Castle of Age, and all their cloned games but they are really far to being RPG games, from our understandings as classic RPG players. And the mentioned Kinghthood was a social MMO-Wargame (strategy game), not a MMORPG.

    We work hard to be different and original from the current social market so we must apply the right dosage of RPG (levels) and Social (power) to get a balanced mixture.

    We want not be just like other games, because the game markets is very wide (social games on Facebook, and MMORPG out of Facebook).

    What we pretend, since our point of view, is to create something new mixing the best of both worlds. Of course we will hear, and want to hear all thoughts, and we will consider all suggestions, though we cannot tie to one only thought and must hear everybody and to be loyal to our idea.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    As usual, we thank you your comments and suggestions.

    We are classic RPG lovers, and we wanted to present Guildmasters as a RPG: choice of character class (profession), experience points and level up, skills development, adventure parties of players, quests completion and fight monsters, equipment and inventory... where the key is the strategy developing the character, not only the tatic in a single combat.
    This is great. But it already exists. It's called Shakes and Fidget. I quit it so long ago out of boredom that I don't know if they do this monster questing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    To this RPG facet, we have merge the social aspect of a Facebook game: guilds, alliances, followers/masters, squads... as well as features of a MMO game (massively multiplayer online) so we define Guild Masters as "the first social MMORPG on Facebook": We think that being the first MMORPG on the facebook platform is something NEW.
    .

    Sort of . . . Battlestations is like this minus the "Followers"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    There some more games calling themselves RPG as Mafia Wars, Castle of Age, and all their cloned games but they are really far to being RPG games, from our understandings as classic RPG players.
    These are crap BUT you need to think about the psychology in them and why they work. People don't game so they can relive some more "real life." Gaming is an escape. Unless you've got some masochistic tendancies, most people play for the reward in the escape. I play because they relax me. They take me away from housework, traffic in Paris, and banging my head against a wall when my students don't take responsibility for their work. The last thing I want in a game is to lose something through no fault of my own. I lost 10s of thousands in gold yesterday NOT because I chose a quest too high but because the game wouldn't load. I win these quests easily but the roll of your dice decided otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    And the mentioned Kinghthood was a social MMO-Wargame (strategy game), not a MMORPG.
    I'm not convinced but it doesn't matter. I'm grateful that there is no chance of resurrecting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    We work hard to be different and original from the current social market so we must apply the right dosage of RPG (levels) and Social (power) to get a balanced mixture.
    I really don't understand why it is such a struggle as there are dozens of games using these formulas very efficiently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    We want not be just like other games, because the game markets is very wide (social games on Facebook, and MMORPG out of Facebook).
    And we are all looking forward to something new but when express our "bad" experiences in the game (like Followers ranking out of us or insane gold costs) you assume it's because we are referencing it to ANOTHER game. It's not. It is genuinely not a positive experience. Do not judge our motives. You do not know them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    we cannot tie to one only thought and must hear everybody and to be loyal to our idea.
    No one has ever said otherwise. However, on a side note, I created a FB page so my Followers and I can exchange material easily, ask questions, and do basic game organization without pasting on 16 walls. A thread was started yesterday by someone who said he'll no longer come on the Forum because the devs shoot down all our observations. I wouldn't go so far to say you shoot down ALL of them. But you do communicate a closed door and are quite defensive. We have no idea what you are considering. Your judgements like me wanting an old game back (ridiculous) or that I'm a negative influence on the others and not "cheerful" enough DO NOT inspire people to come forward in order to be treated the same way. I speak plainly. It's direct and to the point. I never pretended to be the only one who should be heard. Never. Your last poll was very well done. There are some fabulous ideas being thrown around in my FB page. It's a shame they're not being heard.

  9. #29
    Oh! and just for the record, I have never discussed my ideas or opinions of the game with my Followers. Everything I have to say is said here.

  10. #30
    Developer - Managing Director Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sevilla, Spain
    Posts
    523
    Character
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    As usual, we thank you your comments and suggestions.

    We are classic RPG lovers, and we wanted to present Guildmasters as a RPG: choice of character class (profession), experience points and level up, skills development, adventure parties of players, quests completion and fight monsters, equipment and inventory... where the key is the strategy developing the character, not only the tatic in a single combat.

    To this RPG facet, we have merge the social aspect of a Facebook game: guilds, alliances, followers/masters, squads... as well as features of a MMO game (massively multiplayer online) so we define Guild Masters as "the first social MMORPG on Facebook": We think that being the first MMORPG on the facebook platform is something NEW. .There some more games calling themselves RPG as Mafia Wars, Castle of Age, and all their cloned games but they are really far to being RPG games, from our understandings as classic RPG players. And the mentioned Kinghthood was a social MMO-Wargame (strategy game), not a MMORPG.

    We work hard to be different and original from the current social market so we must apply the right dosage of RPG (levels) and Social (power) to get a balanced mixture.

    We want not be just like other games, because the game markets is very wide (social games on Facebook, and MMORPG out of Facebook).

    What we pretend, since our point of view, is to create something new mixing the best of both worlds. Of course we will hear, and want to hear all thoughts, and we will consider all suggestions, though we cannot tie to one only thought and must hear everybody and to be loyal to our idea.
    Welcome to the forums, Fran. You are right, as you said, there are a lot of RPGs on internet, and there are a lot of social games on Facebook, but there is not any social RPG on Facebook!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •